Learn sound email marketing practices to compliment your social media strategies, and get more leads/sales.
Build deeper relationship with your customers, increase your revenue, grow your business and get ahead of competition very fast.
Obviously, email marketing is a tool any smart internet marketer cannot afford to neglect. Unfortunately, many marketers have continued to ignore the basic email marketing ‘best practices’.
- The use of email triggers and re-marketing
- Testing (of landing pages, reputation statements etc.)
- Basic segmentation/ Audience targeting (based on geography or demography)
- Regular list cleansing & deliverability checking
- Integration of social media and email marketing
- Customer relationship management
As of today, email marketing has evolved with beyond ordinary sending of messages to prospects or customers. Its powers can now convert prospects, ensure repeated sales to a customer and expand your range of services to your customers.
Moreover, the use of new technologies has made email marketing more sophisticated and effective. Organizations and individuals can now be tracked based on their interests, preferences and purchase history to get greater results.
The problem today is, though ‘transactional emails’ already exist to handle the more complex aspect of email marketing, many organizations still lag behind in proper email marketing.
The CEO of Netcore, Abhijit Saxena, an industry expert in India has posited that email marketing (in India) will grow at over 100% this year. Just as he said, email marketing is a medium of building an ecosystem where prospects are identified, engaged and appropriate pitch is used to convert them to buyers.
As reported on Econsultancy, Linus Gregoriadis (UK Research Director at Econsultancy) said that email marketing has become slightly more difficult. However, its dividends pay off. Moreover, handling the little basics will add huge results to your marketing campaigns.
“More importantly, you may need to change your email marketing software. Having a good software will help reduce much of the complex processes that affect your campaigns.”
Let’s consider two situations where email marketing is really necessary…
1. If you already have a customer base, email marketing is a cost effective way of unlocking your income potential from this pool of loyal customers. Oftentimes, you can implement email marketing at a fraction of traditional costs of advertising.
2. New organizations or older ones in need of brand awareness or driving sales should also focus on email marketing along with search engine optimization and pay per click advertising.
To properly test your email campaigns, you should test,
- Subject lines
- Landing pages
- Frequency of emails
- Time/day of week and
- Name/address of sender
Sometimes, you may use pre-send spam to test prospects reactions. Testing will go a long way to improve the deliverability of your emails.
In addition, to improve your deliverability, you should check your sender reputation, and relevance of email to the recipients. Remember, a little improvement in your email campaign strategy will actually result in long term benefits.
Though email marketing has received less focus in the past year, organizations and agencies have found email marketing to be very indispensable in online marketing mix. Econsultancy reported the state of email marketing in an article, Email marketers need to get back to basics: study.
“Email continues to be a vital component of the marketing mix and the vast majority of companies (72%) rate email as ‘good’ or ‘excellent’ in terms of ROI.”
As we discussed earlier in Social Networking Vs. Blogging & Email Marketing Vs. SMS, the importance of email marketing cannot be downplayed. The Return on Investment (ROI), and its minimal implementation cost are strong factors every smart internet marketer should consider.
Finally, you need to properly engage your email audience and also integrate your emails with your social media strategies. Begin by setting a goal for yourself or organization and consistently monitor the results.Tags: email engagement email marketing best practices email marketing strategy online marketing mix
Quicklinks for Writing Emails Professionally >>
- Basic Tips and Guidelines for Writing Emails Professionally
- General Tips and Guidelines for Writing Emails Professionally
- Examples and Templates for Writing Emails Professionally
- Customer Service Email Examples for Professionals
- Examples and Guidelines for Closing Emails Professionally
- Examples for Making Requests Professionally
- Email Examples for Sales and Marketing
- Examples and Guidelines for Responding to Emails Professionally